Welcome to my blog. Here you will find an irregular record of my haphazard progress through an eclectic mix of projects, games and other assorted wargames-related nonsense.


You came here looking for toast and tea? Pop in a couple of slices and put a brew on. This blog is best enjoyed with hot buttered toast and a mug of strong, hot tea*.


*Warning - may contain puns.


Wednesday 18 May 2022

Air/Raft

I discovered plasticard (aka styrene sheet) some time in my mid-teens. Wonderful stuff. It's been a staple of my model-making and scratch-building projects ever since. Whenever an idea popped into my head, out came the plasticard and solvent. There's never been any rhyme or reason to this; just wherever inspiration took me - often into the realms of Science Fiction. An appetite for Sci-Fi novels, Traveller RPG and SPI's 'Universe', the art of Chris Foss, and tabletop games of Laserburn all fed my imagination and spawned a collection of vehicles and other 'gubbins'. Here's one example; another model rescued from the back of the gaming cupboard and given a spruce-up. 

It's a 25mm, 3-seat air/raft or grav-craft. Looking at it now, the finish is a bit rough-and-ready but considering it was made from scratch and pretty much made up as I went along I still think it's really neat. I had to add a new headrest and windshield as both had broken off and been lost. Other than that, it's just as it was originally finished many years past. It did need a flight stand though. I don't know why I never made one for it before, but now I've rectified that omission. 


Now it really just needs some crew. That's slightly problematic as it was originally built to scale with 25mm figures and most of my figures are now 28mm, (or 35mm in the case of Star Wars: Legion) and way too big. I think a 3D printed crew is the way to go as I can easily scale to fit. Maybe some 'smaller than human' aliens would work, so it will still fit in with my existing miniatures. I just need to find some that are seated, which isn't so easy. Scanning....



No comments:

Post a Comment