Welcome to my blog. Here you will find an irregular record of my haphazard progress through an eclectic mix of projects, games and other assorted wargames-related nonsense.


You came here looking for toast and tea? Pop in a couple of slices and put a brew on. This blog is best enjoyed with hot buttered toast and a mug of strong, hot tea*.


*Warning - may contain puns.


Sunday 28 February 2021

New Adventures In The Third Dimension

I finally caved in and bought a 3D printer. I'd been dithering about it for some time, but when I spotted that Anycubic were running a brief promotional offer I decided it was too good an opportunity to pass up. It was my birthday too, so I had an extra excuse to splash out and treat myself. 

So now I'm the proud owner of a Photon S resin SLA printer.

I'm still experimenting with different print settings, support configurations, slicing software (Anycubic's own, plus Chitubox and Meshmixer), but I'm rather enjoying the whole process. This is like a whole new hobby!

As with every hobby, the list of tools and 'essentials' soon grows. Top of the list was a big 5-litre bottle of IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol, not India Pale Ale) which is a must for cleaning the prints, print bed and resin tank. I will soon have to sort out a UV lamp to speed up curing times. I'm using good old sunlight to cure the finished prints at present, which is a less than reliable resource here at this time of year. I would really like to get Anycubic's all-in-one Wash and Cure machine, which seems to get favourable reviews, but that is an expense that will have to wait for a bit.

Amazon - free sample by Francesca Musumeci / ArtizanGuild

I fancy trying some different resins too. Anycubic bundle a 'random' 500ml bottle of resin with the printer, but from what I can tell its always of the transparent green variety, which is exactly what I got. I'm happy with the results so far and being transparent, the prints probably cure faster in natural sunlight than they would do with opaque resins. Still, some grey resin and Anycubic's water-washable, low odour Eco resin are on the shopping list.

Kingdom of Mercia, Praying Hero - free sample by Lost Kingdom Miniatures

Of course, a 3D printer is useless without files to print, so my web wandering lately has taken me in search of free files to try. I'm not short on choice, but the amount and quality of paid-for content has also opened my eyes. I suspect that nascent 3D hobbyists like me are in danger of "Ooh shiney" syndrome every bit as much as we were with traditional metal and plastic miniatures. The amount of new Kickstarter and Patreon content offering 3D files for home printing is relentless. Having looked at a few of these, they are generally bundles offering a collection of 3D files, rather than single miniatures. Some subscriptions add new bundles monthly and I have to wonder how anyone is supposed to print, let alone paint and play with all this stuff. We wargamers are used to lead mountains and even plastic mountains, but I forsee that the STL mountain will become a new thing, if it isn't one already. 

Notre-Dame de Paris Cathedral by MiniWorld 3D

3D files are, of course, even more dangerous to our wallets than their 'physical' counterparts since the digital files are intangible and it is easy to convince one's self that they don't count as a hobby purchase. When the postman or courier delivers that heavy package full of all those new miniatures you ordered or backed on Kickstarter, you know you've spent your hard-earned cash and have something to show for it (or perhaps something you need to hide from your better half if you are in the habit of explaining away your hobby addiction). With 3D files, you click 'pay', receive your download in seconds and feel - nothing.  And you still want more. Very dangerous indeed.

HMS Grey Goose - fresh out of the printer

I shall no doubt be returning to the topic of 3D printing in future posts, but for now I need to go pull on my rather fetching blue nitrile gloves, strap on my mask and goggles, wield my plastic scraper and break open the IPA as another completed print awaits my attention.

Till next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment