Welcome to my blog. Here you will find an irregular record of my haphazard progress through an eclectic mix of projects, games and other assorted wargames-related nonsense.


You came here looking for toast and tea? Pop in a couple of slices and put a brew on. This blog is best enjoyed with hot buttered toast and a mug of strong, hot tea*.


*Warning - may contain puns.


Saturday 4 May 2019

The Force is weak in this one!

Oh Dear. Another diversion.

I find your lack of willpower - disturbing.
 
It all started with an exchange of emails with my cross-channel gaming buddy Ian that began with an invite to a game of Kings of War over Skype and some how morphed into pictures of 3D printed Comms Links and crashed Snowspeeders and a discussion about the best miniatures rules to play out Star Wars tabletop games.

It turned out Ian had been impressed with the Star Wars: Legion miniatures but was less enamoured with the rules. Too many cards, tokens and boardgamey stuff. After throwing a few suggestions back and forth we never did reach a satisfactory conclusion, but that dangerous seed of curiosity was already taking root in my brain. I needed to find out about Star Wars: Legion for myself. 

A read-through of the Star Wars: Legion Learn to Play rules PDF on Fantasy Flight's website and the discovery of examples of Unit, Upgrade and Command cards on Tabletop Admiral only reinforced my impression that this was a rather unintuitive, fiddly, card and token heavy game. I was relieved! Now I could safely ignore this game and get on with my other projects without danger of distraction.

Except I couldn't.

Well come on, it's Star Wars.

I kept going  back to the rules, wanting to find something to like. In the end it was a series of  Watch It Played videos that clinched it for me. Suddenly the rules made sense. These guys are having fun. I want to play this game! (Though quite how this is going to work over Skype is anyone's guess).

So now my core box set has arrived.



Just don't ask me when I'm going to get this stuff assembled and painted.




No comments:

Post a Comment